Wistar Institute: Biomedical Technician Training Program: Aseptic Manufacturing
The West Philadelphia Skills Initiative (WPSI) and Wistar Institute built this program to provide candidates with the workplace and technical skills required to build a meaningful career in the Life Sciences industry. Program completion requires in-person attendance at the Wistar Institute, consistent online participation, and completion of an externship at Iovance.
Through this program graduates will be prepared to connect to Aseptic Manufacturing Technician roles where they will be responsible for maintaining a sterile lab environment, by garbing, cleaning, and following procedures to ensure constant cleanliness. Individuals in this role will assemble sterile products, stock supplies, and document processes of Biomedical Manufacturers in support of creating life-saving cell and gene therapies.
- Training Provider: Wistar Institute and West Philadelphia Skills Initiative
- Program Length: 22 Weeks
- Program Dates: September 26, 2022 through March 10, 2023
- Pre-requisites: All applicants must be a resident of Philadelphia; commit to the full training schedule; possess a high school diploma or GED; Candidates for WPSI’s Aseptic Manufacturing Tech Program must provide proof of having received the COVID-19 vaccine by September 16th, 2022 to be considered.
- Training Schedule: 10 weeks of In-person sessions, Mondays and Thursdays (6:30 PM – 8:00 PM), (Sept 26 – Dec 2), Facilitated group conversations via Zoom, Tuesdays (6:30 PM – 8:30 PM), (Sept 27 – Nov 29), 12 weeks of paid in-person on-the-job training, Monday – Friday (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM) (Dec 5 – March 31) and approximately (5) hours of weekly reading and reflection exercises
- Skills Learned: Skills include assembling sterile products, stocking supplies, and documenting processes of Biomedical Manufacturers
- College Credit(s) Earned: N/A
To learn more, attend one of our Information Sessions:
- August 25, 2022, at 10:00AM: Register for this information session.
- September 1, 2022 at 1:00 PM: Register for this information session.
Below are some important milestones for applicants:
- August 23 – Application Opens (Click here to apply!)
- August 25, 10:00AM – Info Session #1 (Virtual) – All applicants are encouraged to attend one virtual info session via Zoom.
- September 1, 1:00pm – Info Session #2 (Virtual) – All applicants are encouraged to attend one virtual info session via Zoom.
- September 9, 5:00PM – Application Closes
- September 20 – Participant Agreement Meeting (in person)
- September 22 – Orientation (in person)
- September 26 – Wistar Life Sciences Foundation and WPSI’s Professional Development starts (evening classes)
- December 5 – Laboratory Orientation starts
- January 3 – Externship starts
For application and eligibility questions, please email A.J. Adams at [email protected]